May 23, 2024  
ARCHIVED 2007-2008 Graduate Catalog 
ARCHIVED 2007-2008 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Fees, Expenses, and Financial Aid

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Resident and Distance Learning Tuition and Fee Charges

The university classifies its programs and courses into two categories: resident and distance learning (DL). Students should become familiar with the classification of their programs, because each has a different tuition and fee structure. Resident programs are located on campus in Cullowhee or at resident centers in Asheville/Buncombe County and Cherokee. Degree or certificate programs that are approved for DL serve students away from the Cullowhee campus and its resident centers. Course sections are classified as resident or distance based on the intended population to be served. Although course section classifications as resident or distance typically follow program designations, there are exceptions.

Tuition and fees are based on program and/or course section campus classification and are applied to all academic terms. Typically, resident and distance students enroll in course sections in the same classification as their program (e.g. distance students enroll in distance courses). Occasionally, students may find it necessary to enroll in a course section whose designation is different from the classification of their approved programs. When this occurs, distance and part-time resident students will be charged the tuition and fees associated with the classification of each individual course section (resident or distance). Full-time resident students will be charged their full-time rate regardless of the combination of resident and distance course sections. Since there is no full-time rate for DL students, they will be charged the part-time rate for resident courses in which they enroll unless their program has a special provision to be charged otherwise. Special provisions may be approved for specific programs (e.g. Military and Jamaican programs).

The following is a schedule of fees per semester. Tuition rates are reviewed and set annually by the North Carolina legislature. At this time, tuition and fees for the 2007-2008 school year have not been approved and the schedule of fees represents estimated rates. These rates are likely to change with final approval and should be used as an estimate when figuring your expenses for 2007-2008. The University reserves the right to alter any charges without prior notice.

Fees Per Semester


I. Full-time Graduate Student

Tuition and required fees, North Carolina $2,471.50
Tuition and required fees, out-of-state $7,264.00
Tuition and required fees, Certified Nurse Anesthetist Program, North Carolina $3,151.00
Tuition and required fees, Certified Nurse Anesthetist Program, out-of-state $7,943.50
  Standard Residence Hall
    Single room $2,253.00
    Double room $1,416.00
  Robertson Apartments (married housing)
    Efficiencies $2,457.00
    One bedroom apartments $2,552.00
  Madison Hall (graduate housing) $2,310.00
80 All-you-care-to-eat meals per semester plus $680 declining balance $1,135.00
Declining Balance (Upper classman)


Declining Balance-The Village


80 All-you-care-to-eat meals per semester plus $865 Declining Balance



Full-time   North Carolina
Student Graduate




*Required Fees  




**Book Rental Fee  




***Room (standard double)  




****Board (declining balance) Upper Classman  

$ 1,135.00


$ 1,135.00





* Required fees include: Health Services, $108.00; Recreational and Cultural, $122.13; Athletics, $250.25; Athletic Facilities, $45.00; Document Fees, $5.00; Education and Technology, $156.00; ASG, $.50; Student Recreation Center, $75.00; Transportation Fee, $24.00, Administrative Computing, $26.00; University Center, $101.12;University Center DS, $47.00; Dining Facility DS, $56.50; Health Insurance, $298.00 (Nonrefundable. Required by full-time students only. May be waived by verifying coverage at
** Textbooks are available to graduate students by purchase only.
***With standard residence hall - double room rate.
****The all-you-care-to-eat meal plans combine an All You Care To Eat program located at Brown Cafeteria and a declining balance account that can be used at the other food-service locations on campus. All You Care to Eat plans include block meals that can be used any time during the semester, within normal facilities operating hours. Declining balance meal purchases are deducted throughout the term from a student’s available balance of declining balance points. During the semester, any student with a declining balance account may make additional prepayments in minimum increments of $50 to increase the balance.

Western Carolina University is a publicly supported institution. Tuition payments and other required fees meet only a part of the total cost of the education of students enrolled. On the average, for each full-time student enrolled in an institution of The University of North Carolina, the State of North Carolina appropriates $9,980.00 per year in public funds to support the educational programs offered.

Dining Services

Meal Plan Requirement
University policy requires students who live in a residence hall to purchase a meal plan from the available plans each semester. Unused declining balance points at the end of fall semester will transfer to spring semester for continuing students. Unused declining balance points are forfeited at the end of spring semester. Block Plan meals must be used in the semester for which they were purchased. Unused Block Plan meals do not transfer to the following semester and will be forfeited at the end of the semester. The balance remaining at the end of fall term does not change the requirement to purchase a meal plan for spring semester. No refunds will be issued for unused block plan or declining balance points.

Meal Plan Changes
Deadline for students to change their meal plan is the last day of course drop/add each semester.

Block Plan Meals
Block Meals are prepaid meals that can be used at the Market Café at Brown Cafeteria for any meal served. Block Plan meals are available to use throughout the semester. There is no limit on the number of meal that may be used during a specific day or week, but meals must be used in the semester for which they are purchased. Block Meals do not transfer from semester to semester. Block Meals may only be used at Brown Cafeteria.

Declining Balance Points
Declining Balance Points work on the same principle as bank debit cards. Each time you make a food purchase, the total cost of your purchase is subtracted from the point balance in your account. Declining balance points may be used at any campus dining location including the convenience stores and snack vending machines. Unused declining balance points at the end of fall semester will transfer to spring semester. Unused declining balance points at the end of spring semester are forfeited. No refunds will be issued for unspent declining balance points.

ID Card
A valid WCU Cat Card is required to use your meal plan. You must personally present your Cat Card to access your meal plan. You may not loan your card to another student. Cards presented in dining locations by someone other than the card owner will be confiscated. Cards and replacements may be obtained in the Killian Annex at OneStop Student Service Center. Cards that are damaged or the picture is impaired may be confiscated. Lost or stolen cards must be reported immediately to the Cat Card office or to University Police in order to have the card declared invalid. The University and Dining Services are not liable for purchases made with lost or stolen cards.

Serving Dates
Your meal plan can be used during scheduled service times from lunch on the day residence halls open until residence halls close at the end of the semester except during these University holidays: Thanksgiving Break (Wednesday – Sunday lunch), Winter Break, and Spring Break. Serving dates and hours of operation at individual dining locations are described on our website at Holiday hours will also be posted several days in advance at each location and will be available on the website.

Meal Plans

Premium Declining Balance ($1035.00 per semester)
(Available to sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students based on credit hour)

Standard Declining Balance ($935.00 per semester)
(Available to sophomores, juniors,
seniors and graduate students based on
credit hours)

Village Declining Balance ($835.00 per semester***)
(Available to Village residents only
regardless of credit hours)
***Requires a one year contact. Unused declining balance points at the end of spring semester will transfer to the following summer session. Unused declining balance points at the end of summer session will be forfeited.

Premium 80 Block Plan ($1315.00 per semester)
80 “All you care to eat” meals
+ $865 Declining Balance Points
(Available to all students)

Standard 80 Block Plan ($1135.00 per semester)
80 “All you care to eat” meals
+ $680 Declining Balance Point
(Required for freshmen)

II. Part-time Graduate Student
(8 or fewer hours)

Semester Hours Enrolled  

North Carolina Student

  Out-of-State Student



$ 361.03


$ 1,559.03




































For each course scheduled for audit, a charge will be made equal to the credit hour value of the audited course.

Part-time Graduate Student - Certified Nurse Anesthetist Program

Semester Hours Enrolled  

North Carolina Student

  Out-of-State Student



$ 530.78


$ 1,729.03




































III. Asheville Student
Fees for all Western Carolina University resident-credit courses taught in Asheville are the same as on the Cullowhee campus. All UNC-A credit courses in which a student enrolls carry an additional cost per credit hour regardless of the fees paid for credit from Western Carolina University.

IV. Other Fees

Application fee  


Graduation fee  


Cap, gown, and hood  

obtained through WCU Bookstore

Late registration fee  


Certain courses in some fields require laboratory or materials fees in addition to the costs listed in this section. Textbooks are available to graduate students by purchase only.

Payment of Fees. All charges are due and payable on or before the published payment deadline for each term. Payment by check, in the exact amount of the bill, is recommended. In accordance with state policy, a processing fee of $25 is assessed for returned checks.

Late Registration. With approved reason for delay, a student may register for classes after the regular registration date with the payment of a late registration fee. Students entering late must show satisfactory reason and obtain approval from their advisor and department head, who reserves the right to reduce the number of hours for which a late entrant may register.

Textbooks. Graduate students must purchase all textbooks regardless of course level. Textbooks for courses numbered 500 and above are available for purchase at the WCU Bookstore. Textbooks for courses numbered below 500 are available for purchase in the Book Rental Department of the WCU Bookstore.



Students who withdraw from one or more courses during a term, but who remain enrolled in the university, must follow the procedures published in the master class schedule booklet in order to be officially removed from the class rolls. Grading policies applicable in the event of withdrawal are stated in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog.

Students withdrawing from the university during a term must secure a withdrawal form from the One Stop Student Service Center, obtain the necessary signatures, and return the form to the One Stop Student Service Center. If an emergency prevents a student from completing the withdrawal process before leaving the campus, the student should call, write, or arrange for a relative to contact the Advising Center at 828-227-7170.

Students who interrupt or terminate their education at the university during or at the end of a term for any reason are responsible for clearing any indebtedness in the following areas: residential living, bookstore, financial aid office, cashier’s office, library, university police department, academic departments, and health services.

Refund Policies


Academic Year Tuition and Fees. During a fall or spring semester, a full-time or part-time student who withdraws from the university before the first day of classes will be refunded 100 percent of tuition and fees. Students who withdraw from the university beginning the first day of classes are entitled to refunds of tuition and fees in accordance with the following schedule:

First day of classes   95 percent
1 to 11 calendar days following the first day of classes   90 percent
12 to 28 calendar days following the first day of classes   50 percent
29 to 57 calendar days following the first day of classes   25 percent
58 calendar days following the first day of classes   0 percent

Students who withdraw from the university as a result of involuntary recall to military service, pursuant to a presidential order authorizing the call-up of reservists, and who are thereby prevented from receiving credit for the courses in which he/she is enrolled, will be entitled to a full refund of tuition and fees. Refunds of room and board charges will be prorated based on the number of days the dormitory room was occupied and the meal ticket was used. Students having the declining balance meal plan will be refunded the actual account balance at the time of withdrawal.

Students who reduce their course loads during the registration period for the semester as defined in this catalog, but who continue to be enrolled in the university, will have their tuition and fees adjusted fully to reflect only the number of semester hours in which they remain enrolled. Part-time students are eligible for a refund based on the semester hour tuition rate. Full-time students are eligible for a refund only when course loads are reduced below the minimum hours required to qualify as full-time. No adjustment will be made for reduced loads after the close of the registration period. However, students who drop all courses must withdraw from the university. They are, therefore, eligible only for the partial refunds that apply to university withdrawals.

Summer School Tuition and Fees. A student who drops summer school classes before the first day of classes will be refunded 100 percent of tuition and fees. Students who withdraw the first day of class or after are eligible for refunds through the first 50 percent of the summer session. The refund prorations for summer school are available from the Student Accounts office.

Summer school students who reduce their course loads by one or more semester hours within three days following regular registration or on or before the date of the second class meeting, whichever is later, will have tuition and fees adjusted to reflect the number of semester hours in which they remain enrolled.

Room and Board. Refunds of room and rent for any semester or summer term will be calculated at the same rate as tuition and fees.

Meal plan refunds for standard plans will be calculated based on a prorated daily balance. Meal plan refunds for declining balance plans will be based on the actual balance remaining on the student account at the time of withdrawal. All-you-care-to-eat meal plans have a standard declining balance component. Refunds for all-you-care-to-eat plans will be based on the policy applicable to each component. Refunds will not be made for the last two weeks of a semester or for the last week of a summer session.

Exceptions. Exceptions to these policies may be made if a student withdraws from the university for reasons of hardship. These reasons are defined as: (1) death of the student, (2) death in the student’s immediate family, (3) a medical condition that compels withdrawal upon recommendation of the director of Student Health Services, or (4) a mental health condition that compels withdrawal upon recommendation of the director of Counseling and Psychological Services. Requests for exceptions should be submitted to the Refund Appeals Committee, One Stop Student Service Center. Approved exceptions for refunds or account adjustments will be forwarded to the Student Accounts Office to make final settlement of the student’s account.

All refunds, regardless of the source of payment, will be made by a check payable to the student.

Graduate Assistantships


Teaching, research, and professional development assistantships are available to a limited number of well-qualified graduate students. Students should contact their program director regarding assistantship opportunities. Consideration for possible appointment to an assistantship will be given after a decision has been made concerning admission to graduate study. Stipends vary from approximately $7,000 to $10,500, based on a 20-hour per week work assignment. The in-state and/or out-of-state portion of tuition may be waived for some, but not all, of these assistantships. In order to receive a waiver, a student must have an assistantship.

Students receiving assistantships in the fall and spring semesters will be expected to be registered as full time graduate students. In order to qualify for a graduate assistantship, a graduate student must be admitted in either Regular Admission, Regular Admission (with Conditions), Provisional Admission, or Provisional Admissions (with Conditions) status prior to the start of the semester. Preference will be given to graduate students that have Regular Admission status. Graduate students in their last semester of graduate study may take as few as six credit hours and maintain a graduate assistantship. Continuation of the appointment depends upon satisfactory performance of duties and upon satisfactory academic achievement (3.0 GPA on all graduate coursework attempted).

Students with a graduate assistantship in the summer session do not have to be registered for graduate coursework in the summer as long as they are making adequate progress toward their degree and are registered for the fall semester.

Chancellor’s Fellowships


A limited number of chancellor’s fellowships are available to well-qualified graduate students each fall semester. The awards, based on merit, are intended to encourage and assist superior students in pursuing graduate studies in the minimum time possible. The value of each fellowship is $6,000 per academic year and carries no work requirement. Students are required to be registered for a minimum of nine semester hours each semester. Application deadline is April 15. The application form and additional information are available from the Graduate School website at

Graduate School Study Grants


Each semester the Graduate School awards a number of Graduate School study grants. These grants are designed to support well-qualified graduate students by paying $300 per semester. Students must register for a minimum of three semester hours. There is no work requirement and the awards are made on the basis of merit as reflected by the student’s application file. Application deadline is May 15 for fall semester and November 15 for spring semester. The application form and additional information are available from the Graduate School website at

Morrill Family Fund for Research in Education


Established by Maurice B. and Anna C. Morrill, this fund is to help provide and promote desirable research relating to the improvement of teaching at any educational level. The purpose is to enhance abilities of graduate students in education to produce and use quality research. Application forms are available in the Office of the Dean, College of Education and Allied Professions, 222 Killian; Office of Graduate School and Research, 109 Camp Building; all departmental offices, College of Education and Allied Professions; and Office for WCU Programs in Asheville, 120 Karpen Hall. Deadline is September 1.

The Otto H. Spilker Endowed Scholarship


This scholarship is awarded to a graduate student in the Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation. Priority consideration is given to students studying to teach physical education. Contact the Physical Education Graduate Program director.

Kendall W. King Scholarship Fund


The purpose of this scholarship fund is to provide financial support for worthy and deserving international students. Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible for the award. Contact the dean of Graduate School and Research.


The Staff Forum Scholarship Fund


The Staff Forum Scholarship Fund was established by the Western Carolina University Staff Forum to provide scholarship support for the children of SPA and EPA Non-Faculty employees. Contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Financial Aid


The university maintains an Office of Financial Aid. This office can furnish more detailed information concerning loans, work-study, and other work opportunities. The various types of aid are described in the undergraduate catalog, and a financial aid brochure is available upon request.

Veterans Assistance


The university is approved for the training of Veterans Affairs benefit recipients. This institution is approved under the provisions of Title 38 United States Code, Chapter 36. Persons eligible and entitled under provisions of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 34, 35 and Section 901 and 903, and Title 10 United States Code, Chapters 106 and 107 may enroll in programs approved by the North Carolina States Approving Agency. All inquiries concerning veteran educational benefits should be addressed to the Veterans Affairs Certifying Office, Office of Registrar, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, North Carolina 28723, or interested parties may call 828-227-7216.

Disability Services


The Disability Services office provides accommodations for students with disabilities. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis and may include housing accommodations, testing accommodations, sign-language interpreters, note takers, books-on-tape, adaptive equipment and software, and priority registration. To receive services, students must submit a Voluntary Disability Disclosure form and current documentation of a disability. Disability counseling, career advisement, advocacy, and coaching are also available. Visit the website at or telephone 828-227-7234.

Catamount Academic Tutoring Center


The Catamount Academic Tutoring Center, located in 135 Killian Annex, is designed to ensure the academic success of all Western Carolina University students by offering free peer tutoring, workshops, and other resources to improve learning. Tutors offer strategies for effective study and efficient time management, and they facilitate collaborative groups in which each student is involved with actively exploring and learning the material. Visit the CAT Center website ( or call 828-227-2274 to schedule a tutoring session or to learn more about workshop offerings in areas such as Time Management, Note Taking, Goal Setting, and Exam Preparation.

Testing Services


The Office of Professional Examinations, located in 135 Killian Annex, oversees administrations of the Graduate Record Examination (subject tests only), the Praxis Series, Scholastic Aptitude Test, ACT, Law School Admission Test, and the National Counselor Examination. Visit the website at for registration and exam-preparation information.

For information about the Miller Analogies Test, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Institutional SAT, Residual ACT, or the verbal portion of the SAT (for pre-nursing students), call 227-3264.

GRE Workshops. During fall and spring semesters, the Graduate School sponsors a free GRE preparation workshop for students who plan to apply for admission to a graduate degree program. The workshops are designed to help students prepare to take the three sections of the GRE General Test (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing). For more information on workshop dates and to reserve a space in a workshop, contact Graduate School and Research at 828-227-7398.

Explanation of Out-of-State Tuition Rate


North Carolina General Statute 116-143, 1-2-3 governs tuition status. Each student will be subject to the following:

To qualify for in-state tuition, a legal resident must have maintained his or her permanent domicile in North Carolina for at least twelve months immediately prior to his or her classification as a resident for tuition purposes. In order to be eligible for such classification, the individual must establish that his or her presence in the state during such twelve-month period was for purposes of maintaining a bona fide domicile rather than for purposes of mere temporary residence incident to enrollment in an institution of higher education.

Student residential classification, for purposes of applicable tuition rates, is required to be changed if, since original establishment of a student’s current classification, the state of legal residence has changed.

Certain members of the armed services and their dependent relatives may be eligible to be charged less than the out-of-state tuition rate. Included among the requirements are that the member of the armed services and a relative claiming the benefit through a member be living together in North Carolina incident to the supporting member’s active duty and that the applicant for the benefit qualify for academic admission at the pertinent institution.

A student currently classified as a nonresident for tuition purposes has the right to petition for a change in classification to that of resident if he or she claims that he or she is now and, for at least the twelve-month period immediately preceding the date of such petition, has been a legal resident of the state of North Carolina. If it is determined that in fact a legal residency has existed for the required twelve-month period, the effective date of change in applicable tuition rates shall be the next semester, quarter, or term following the date of change in facts which required the change in classification.

A student currently classified as a resident for tuition purposes has the obligation to petition for a change in classification to that of a nonresident if there is reasonable basis for believing that change in fact requires such a change in classification. Failure to fulfill this obligation may result in appropriate disciplinary action including, but not necessarily limited to, cancellation of enrollment. If it is determined that in fact a student has become a nonresident, the effective date of change in applicable tuition rates shall be the next semester, quarter, or term following the date of change in facts which required the change in classification.

Copies of the applicable North Carolina law and regulations which govern such classification determinations are available in the Office of Admissions, Academic Services, Graduate School, and Office for Student Affairs for inspection upon request. The student is responsible for being familiar with these regulations.

Waiver of Tuition for North Carolina Residents Aged 65. Legal residents of North Carolina who have attained the age of 65 and who meet applicable admission standards may enroll on a tuition-free basis if space is available but must pay required fees. Further information is available from the registrar.