Sep 21, 2017
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Music Education
Program Admission Requirements:
Same as Graduate School Admission Requirements . In addition, applicants must:
- Audition and/or interview for the School of Music.
- Have an undergraduate degree in music from an accredited institution with a 2.85 GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work.
- Document basic keyboard proficiency.
This Post-Baccalaureate Certificate program is designed for students who have completed a non-teaching undergraduate degree in Music, but who now desire to pursue careers as public school music teachers. Depending on course scheduling and the number of undergraduate pre-requisite courses that may be required, the program may be completed in 1-3 semesters followed by a semester of student teaching. Completion of the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Music Education leads to recommendation for initial North Carolina teaching licensure.
Based on an assessment of candidate’s undergraduate coursework, applicants may be required to take one or more of the following undergraduate courses (these may be taken concurrently with graduate-level coursework):
- EDCI 201 Teacher Leader in a Diverse Society (3)
- MUS 168 String Class (1)
- MUS 258 Diction For Singers I (1)
- MUS 259 Diction For Singers II (2)
- MUS 272 Percussion Methods (1)
- MUS 283 Music Technology Methods (1)
- MUS 311 Pedagogy of Brass Instruments (2)
- MUS 312 Pedagogy of Woodwind Instruments (2)
- MUS 323 Music in the Elementary School (2)
- MUS 324 Music in the Middle School (2)
- MUS 326 Instrumental Methods and Materials (3)
- MUS 327 Choral Methods and Materials (3)
- MUS 329 Fundamentals of Conducting (2)
- MUS 428 Choral Conducting (2)
- MUS 429 Instrumental Conducting (2)
- MUS 470 Orchestration and Arranging (2)
For undergraduate course descriptions and more information visit http://catalog.wcu.edu/.
The program requires a minimum of 21 hours of graduate-level coursework; distributed as follows:
Required Core Courses (15 hours):
Music Education Electives (choose one; 3 hours):
Capstone Course (3 hours):
Students in the certificate program must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all graduate certificate coursework.
NOTE: Students who complete this program may re-apply to the Graduate School and the School of Music for admission into the MAEd program. Graduate-level coursework for this certificate may be applied to the MAEd, making it possible to complete the MAEd in only on additional year.