ARCHIVED 2005-2006 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Jan 15, 2021  
ARCHIVED 2005-2006 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Services are provided at Western Carolina University to further each student’s academic and social development. The Office of Student Affairs has overall responsibility in this area, and its functions include providing comfortable housing, offering counseling services and health care, and enhancing the college environment with recreational and leadership activities.

Residential Living


The university’s residence halls are an integral part of campus life, offering a variety of experiences that contribute to intellectual, personal, and social development. The residence halls are staffed by Resident Directors, professional staff responsible for both community and personal growth and development.

The residence halls are open to all students, undergraduate and graduate, to the extent available. Freshmen are required to live on campus. This requirement may be waived if the student is married or lives with parents in Jackson, Macon, Haywood, or Swain County. Waivers for other reasons are decided upon by the Assistant Director for Operations.

A variety of accommodations are available; however, most rooms are designed for double occupancy. Each room is furnished with computer data ports, single beds, study desks, chairs, dressers, and closets. Students provide their own pillows, bed linens, towels, lamps, clocks, wastebaskets, and telephones. They also may bring radios, stereos, and televisions. Cable television is provided in student rooms, as well as designated public areas. Other amenities include vending machines, washers, and dryers. Mail service is provided to all residential students at the mail station located in Hinds University Center. Mailing addresses are assigned by the Department of Residential Living and will be provided when students receive housing assignments. Local telephone service is included in the housing fee. Long distance is not provided, but access can be obtained through the use of a personal calling card.

Room Reservations and Advance Partial Payment. Any new, transfer, readmitted, or graduate student may reserve a room in the residence halls by submitting the advance partial payment of $100 and a signed Residence Hall Agreement to the Office of the Controller. Returning students are to submit the signed Agreement with $150 advanced partial payment. These payments for the fall semester should be submitted no later than June 1. Although no advance partial payment is required for the spring semester (January), deadline for submission of the Residence Hall Agreement is December 1. All checks should be made payable to Western Carolina University. Advance partial payments and Residence Hall Agreements received after the deadline will be accepted on a space-available basis. Financial aid awards may not be used to cover advance partial payments.

Students may move into the residence halls the weekend prior to August orientation and the beginning of classes. Information on the designated move-in day will be provided with assignment information. Unless the Department of Residential Living is notified of late arrival, reservations expire at 5:00 p.m. on the first day of classes.

Residence Hall Agreement. Each student residing in a residence hall signs a Residence Hall Agreement with the University for the entire academic year, or any part of the year remaining when the student moves into the residence hall. The agreement outlines the responsibilities of the student and the University, and it is a legally binding contract. It may be cancelled by the student or the University under conditions outlined in the contract.

Summer Terms. Students who begin their enrollment in summer terms (May, June, or July) are not required to submit the advance housing payment but must submit the Residence Hall Agreement if they wish to reside on campus. If, however, you are attending the Academic Success Program, on-campus housing is required.

Refund Policy. Students who have paid the advance housing payment and choose not to attend Western are eligible for a 100 percent refund if notification of cancellation is received prior to June 1 (December 1 for spring). Cancellations received after June 1 and prior to acceptance of residence hall room keys (or the first day of classes) will be subject to a $50 administrative processing fee. Students who move out of the residence halls after acceptance of keys will be eligible for a pro-rated refund, but they will be assessed a $200 breach of contract fee.

Housing for Married and Graduate Students. Robertson Hall is available for married students, and consists of thirty-seven efficiency and five one-bedroom apartments. Madison Hall is available for graduate students, and offers forty-one private rooms with private baths and is an air-conditioned, nonsmoking hall.

Residence Hall Regulations. The Department of Residential Living, in order to provide a positive environment conducive to individual and community living and learning, has established specific policies and regulations related to personal conduct. These policies are available in the Student Handbook and Guide to Residential Living. In an effort to meet a variety of student desires and needs, each residence hall may have variations of certain policies, including visitation hours and smoking options. Please refer to the Student Handbook upon move-in to familiarize yourself with these policies and regulations, as well as student rights and responsibilities.

Off-Campus Housing. All freshmen are required to live on campus. Exceptions may be made for students from Jackson, Macon, Haywood, and Swain Counties who wish to continue residing with their parents. A waiver can be granted by submitting a Freshman Request for Authorization to Commute, available from the Department of Residential Living. Students who plan to live off campus must make their own living arrangements. Students who move from the residence halls to off-campus locations must officially check out of their residence hall rooms and are subject to a breach of contract fee of $200 if the move occurs during the period of the Residence Hall Agreement. Students living off campus are still governed by the rules and regulations of the university while on campus.

Student Activities and Services


A variety of programs, activities, and services identified with everyday living are available on campus. Students are encouraged to choose and participate in co-curricular activities wisely and balance them with their academic endeavors. The student activity fee helps to support many of these activities and services as well as a number of cultural programs. The fee also supports the campus radio station, newspaper, literary magazine, and student public relations organization.

Voluntary associations of students on the campus are recognized as an important part of the educational process. More than one hundred recognized campus organizations provide students opportunities to explore their religious, political, professional, social, or special interests and to be recognized for their academic and personal achievements.

Student Government. The Student Government Association (SGA) is an active, vital part of the university community. Each student has the right to vote in all student elections and may participate in SGA by running for office or by applying for an appointive position. The SGA appoints voting members to committees of the Faculty Senate, and the president of SGA is an ex officio member of the university’s Board of Trustees.

A.K. Hinds University Center


The University Center (UC) is the hub of campus activity - the living room of campus. The UC houses offices of the Student Government Association (SGA), Last Minute Productions (LMP), Women’s Center, Multicultural Center, Lectures, Concerts and Exhibits (LCE) and University Center staff. Western Encourages Leadership Enhancement and Development (WE LEAD) provides a variety of programs to help students develop and hone leadership skills. Base Camp Cullowhee (BCC) offers outdoor programs and equipment rental. Meetings, activities and events are held in the ballroom, movie theater, meeting rooms and conference rooms. The food court features Chic-Fil-A, Montagues’s Deli, and the Burger Factory. Java City serves coffee and custom beverages. The UC provides services such as ATMs, Student Mail Center, Catamount Clothing, student lounges, email stations and fax service. Throughout the year, the UC produces activities including films, dances, concerts, outdoor trips, late night programs and interactive activities. Many activities are planned and organized by WCU students through the student-run program board, Last Minute Production (LMP).

Recreation, Fitness, and Intramural Sports. The facilities of the Reid Health and Human Performance Building, Breese Gymnasium, A.K. Hinds University Center, the Ramsey Regional Activity Center, Western’s football and baseball stadium, and the campus track and jogging trail make possible a rich recreational program. Indoor and outdoor recreation includes tennis, volleyball, basketball, swimming, bowling, handball, racquetball, rugby, soccer, softball, badminton, table tennis, ultimate frisbee, frisbee golf, water polo, arm wrestling, cross country, darts, horseshoes, track and field, fishing derby, and wrestling. An indoor fitness center is available for students, faculty, and staff members.

The Fitness Center contains free weights, treadmills, stair climbers, exercise bikes, elliptical crosstrainers, and Cybex exercise stations. Services offered by the fitness center include: personal training, fitness assessments, body composition analysis and specialized fitness programs. Over twenty land and water aerobics classes are offered each week by the center. The Fitness Center and its services work together to help participants achieve an improvement in the quality of life.

The Intramural Sports program at Western Carolina University provides students a positive use of leisure time and offers a variety of recreational activities in a diverse environment. There are a wide variety of recreational activities which include more than fifty individual, team, and coed activities. Such activities include: softball, football, volleyball, dodgeball, basketball, tennis, racquetball, and soccer. In addition, there are ten established sport clubs. These clubs are open to all students regardless of skill level. Students are also encouraged to develop new sport clubs.

Athletics. The university provides a full program of sixteen intercollegiate sports. Athletic teams play a full schedule in football, baseball, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s basketball, women’s volleyball, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track, women’s softball, men’s and women’s cross country, women’s tennis, and women’s soccer. The university is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA Division I) and the Southern Conference. A standing committee of the Faculty Senate is responsible for reviewing and recommending policy regarding intercollegiate athletics.

Health Center. General health care is provided by the University Health Center. Services that are available include outpatient care, limited laboratory procedures, minor surgical procedures, allergy clinic, nutritional counseling, and wellness activities. These services are provided by the student’s health fee. A comprehensive women’s clinic is available by appointment. There is a fee for processing the pap smear. A limited pharmacy is available to students for an additional fee. The Health Center operates an ambulance service twentyfour hours a day while classes are in session. The Health Center does not file or accept insurance. The Health Center is located in the Bird Building.

The Health Center does not assume responsibility for complicated or chronic medical illnesses, dental operations, or X-ray procedures. Referral is available through the Health Center’s medical staff. For information about our services please contact us at 828-227-7640. Medical emergencies please call 911.

A complete medical record is required of all students entering the university. Additional information for updating during the period of actual attendance may be requested. New students are required by North Carolina General Statute 130A-155.1 to have the following current immunizations: diptheria-pertussis-tetanus or tetanus-diptheria, measles (rubeola), rubella, and polio. Evidence of the immunizations must be in the student’s records at the time of registration. If this evidence is not present, the student will not be allowed to register. Information concerning the immunization requirements is located on the Health Services home page at

Health Insurance. An accident and hospitalization group insurance policy is available to students from an approved commercial agent at registration. The coverage is optional, but it is strongly recommended that all students have some form of insurance to cover the cost of medical treatment not available through the Health Center. Health insurance coverage is mandatory for international students. International students must purchase or prove coverage of comprehensive medical insurance before being allowed to register for classes. The insurance must be paid in full in advance and be in effect for the entire academic year. More information is available from the Health Center at 828-227-7640.

Mental Health Services


The Counseling and Psychological Services Center. The center provides free and confidential student services including individual and group counseling and therapy, emergency on-call, consultation, and outreach programming to aid students with educational, personal, or psychological concerns. Appointments can be made by calling 828-227-7469. The center is located on the second floor of Bird Building.

Other Services and Facilities


New Student Orientation. To make the transition to college life easier, Western offers orientation programs for new students and their families. Students attending orientation have a chance to meet other new students, talk to their professional academic adviser, and register for their classes. Orientation is the time for students and family members to become familiar with the academic demands of the university, to meet the faculty, and to learn more about the concerns that accompany campus life. For more information, call 828-227-7087.

The Office of Special Programs/Teaching Fellows Program. The Office of Special Programs/Teaching Fellows Program in the College of Education and Allied Professions assists in organizing special events in the college (e.g., student recruitment activities, scholarship awards) and coordinates the North Carolina Teaching Fellows Program for the university.

Teacher Placement Service. Placement services are available to all teacher education graduates and alumni who seek employment in the field of education through Career Services, Room 91, McKee Building.

Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits. Western is approved under the provisions of Title 38 United States Code, Chapter 36. Persons eligible and entitled under provisions of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 34, 35 and Section 901 and 903 and Title 10 United States Code, Chapters 106 and 107 may enroll in programs approved by the North Carolina State Approving Agency. All inquiries concerning Veterans Affairs (V.A.) educational benefits should be addressed to the Veteran Affairs Certifying Officer, Office of the Registrar, Killian Annex, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, North Carolina 28723, telephone 828-227-7216.

International Student Services. The international student advisor serves as the advisor to the International Student Association and providing programming to assist students with transitioning and becoming informed with university and community life. For more information, call 828-227-7234.

Books and Supplies. The Catamount Bookstore offers students a variety of educational materials and supplies. An extensive selection of paperback books is offered for class use and extracurricular reading. All books for graduate students, distance learning and supplemental text and course-related materials for undergraduates are sold by the store. The book rental plan, operated through the book rental department of the bookstore, is explained on page 38 of this catalog. Caps and gowns, graduation invitations, and class rings also may be purchased at the store. For more information, call 828-227-7346 or visit our Web site at

Clothing and Gifts. The Catamount Clothing and Gifts store offers students a variety of clothing, gifts, greeting cards and miscellaneous items. Flower and balloon deliveries are also available. The store is located on the second floor of the UC and for more information, call 828-227-7626 or visit our Web site at

Wellness Center. Located in the newly renovated Bird Building, the Wellness Center provides a variety of resources for multidimensional health promotion and illness/injury prevention. Resources include brochures and other print materials covering an extensive list of wellness topics; videos; health screening and teaching equipment; and more. These resources are free and some can be checked out much like a library system. The Wellness Center also hosts programs, meetings, and events, involving collaboration among students, faculty, and staff like the Wellness Council and C.R.E.W. (peer education). Individual wellness consultations are also available. All are welcome to visit the Wellness Center throughout the day to relax and de-stress. For more information, call Cari Robertson, Wellness Coordinator, at 828-227-3471.


Western Carolina University provides food services for students at the following campus locations:

Brown (on the upper campus)

Cyber Cafe (Dodson)

Dodson (on the lower campus)

Hinds University Center Food Court

Java City (Hunter Library) and Java City (University Center)

Convenience Store locations at Dodson and Brown

Food service may not be provided when dining locations are closed during holidays and other periods when the university is not in session.

Students living in university residence halls are required to purchase a campus meal plan each semester. Participation in a food service plan is optional for commuting students. Special dietary requirements are accommodated by contacting WCU Dining at 227-7396.

The various food service plans offered are described in the fees section of this catalog. For additional information and frequently asked questions, visit the Dining website under Life on Campus at

Mail Service. Students residing on campus are assigned a mailbox with their room assignments. All other students may rent a box in the Cullowhee Post Office. U.S. postal regulations do not permit receipt of mail through general delivery after an initial thirty-day period. A postal commodity machine offering stamps, envelopes, postcards, aerograms, overseas services, and other features is located in the University Center.

Laundry. Coin- and CatCard-operated washers and dryers are provided in all residence halls for resident use only. Commercial coin-operated laundries are located in Cullowhee and Sylva for use by the general public.

Bank Services. A branch office of the Wachovia Bank and Trust Company is located on campus. ATM machines installed by Wachovia Bank and BB&T are located in the Hinds University Center. In addition, branch offices of Wachovia, Carolina Community Bank, Century South Bank of the Carolinas, First Charter Bank, First Citizens Bank and Trust, Community Bank and Trust Company, Jackson Savings Bank, Macon Bank, and the North Carolina State Employees Credit Union are located in or near Sylva.

Disability Services. Western Carolina University is dedicated to providing reasonable accommodations necessary to students with disabilities. Academic accommodations supported by proper documentations are provided through the Office of Student Support Services, Killian Annex, Room 248, 828-227-7127. Section 504/ADA accessibility issues are handled through the Office for Student Affairs, 460 H.F. Robinson Administration Building, 828-227-7234.

General Regulations and Safety Policies


The general regulations pertaining to student life at Western Carolina University are published in the Student Handbook. A copy of the Student Handbook is available at the Office of Student Affairs (460 H.F. Robinson Administration Building, 828-227-7234) or at Student rules and regulations are the responsibility of the Office for Student Affairs. Other regulations deemed necessary for the welfare of the members of the university community are the responsibility of the appropriate unit of the university, subject to administrative approval.

All members of the university community have the responsibility of conducting themselves in a manner befitting the university environment. The university can fulfill one of its major obligations to its students by providing opportunities for the development of self-discipline, respect for others, and concern for one’s personal conduct.

While on the campus, students are subject to the rules of the university, whether or not classes are in session. Students who exhibit unseemly conduct or destructive behavior or who impinge on the rights of other individuals, as these terms are defined in the Code of Student Conduct section of the Student Handbook, are subject to disciplinary action by the university.

Hazing is forbidden under North Carolina law: “Upon conviction of any student of the offense of hazing, or of aiding in the commission of this offense, he/she shall, in addition to any punishment imposed by the court, be expelled from the college or school he/she is attending. The faculty or governing board of any college or school charged with the duty of expulsion of students for proper cause shall, upon such conviction, at once expel the offender, and a failure to do so shall be a misdemeanor.”

Firearms are not permitted on university property except for academic instruction and lawenforcement purposes.

The university, in accordance with the laws of the State of North Carolina, forbids the possession or use of fireworks in any building or location on the campus. Severe disciplinary action will be taken if this law is violated.

Drunkenness and other abuse of alcoholic beverages are grounds for disciplinary action. Although possession and consumption of alcohol by students are not sanctioned by the university, these acts cannot be controlled in rooms assigned to students without undue invasion of privacy. Therefore, possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages within on-campus residence rooms are options to be determined by the occupants of each room, within the framework of student regulations and North Carolina law. Public display or consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted. All students should be familiar with the policies in the Student Handbook and the laws of North Carolina concerning alcoholic beverages.

Policy on Illegal Drugs

  1. Purpose
    Western Carolina University is an academic community dedicated to the transmission and advancement of knowledge and understanding. The Board of Trustees is committed to the maintenance and protection of an environment in which students and faculty members may responsibly pursue these goals through teaching, learning, research, discussion, and publication, free from internal or external restraints that would unreasonably restrict their academic endeavors. Moreover, it is the obligation of all members of the university community-faculty, students, administrators, and other employees-to help maintain an environment where academic freedom flourishes and in which the rights of each member of the academic community are respected. The illegal use of and trafficking in drugs can jeopardize the welfare of members of this academic community. Accordingly, in an effort to responsibly address such threats to the integrity of the academic environment, the Board of Trustees adopts this policy.
  2. Applicable Policies, Practices, and Programs
    1. Education, Prevention, Counseling, and Rehabilitation
      1. Just as the primary purpose of Western Carolina University is education, so also the university’s major effort to address drug abuse should be educational in nature. The university shall maintain a comprehensive drug education program available to all members of the academic community (students, faculty, administration, and staff). The activities of the program shall be the responsibility of the Drug and Alcohol Education Task Force co-chaired by the University addiction’s counselor and a faculty member and composed of faculty, staff, and students. The task force shall develop and coordinate an ongoing program available to all members of the academic community that:
        1. informs members of the academic community about the health hazards associated with drug abuse;
        2. emphasizes the incompatibility of drug abuse and maximum achievement of personal and educational goals;
        3. encourages members of the campus community to make use of available campus and community counseling, medical, and rehabilitation resources in dealing with drug abuse problems; and
        4. informs members of the academic community that they also may be subject to criminal prosecution for violating state laws relating to the illegal use, possession, delivery, sale, manufacture, or creation of controlled substances.
      2. WCU shall provide information about drug counseling and rehabilitation services to members of the university community, through campus-based programs for students and through community-based organizations for faculty, staff, and students. Persons who voluntarily avail themselves of university services shall be assured that applicable professional standards of confidentiality will be observed.
    2. Enforcement and Penalties
      1. Western Carolina University shall take all actions necessary, consistent with state and federal law and applicable university policy, to eliminate illegal drugs from the university community. The institutional policy on illegal drugs shall be publicized in catalogs and other relevant materials prepared for all enrolled and prospective students and in relevant materials distributed to faculty members, administrators, and other employees.
      2. Students, faculty members, administrators, and other employees are responsible, as citizens, for knowing about and complying with the provisions of North Carolina law that make it a crime to possess, sell, deliver, or manufacture those drugs designated collectively as “controlled substances” in Article 5 of Chapter 90 of the North Carolina General Statutes. Any member of the university community who violates that law is subject both to prosecution and punishment by the civil authorities and to disciplinary proceedings by the university. It is not “double jeopardy” for both the civil authorities and the university to proceed against and punish a person for the same specified conduct. The university shall initiate its own disciplinary proceeding against a student, faculty member, administrator, or other employee when the alleged conduct is deemed to affect the interests of the university.
      3. Penalties shall be imposed by the university in accordance with procedural safeguards applicable to disciplinary actions against students, faculty members, administrators, and other employees, and by regulations of the State Personnel Commission.*
      4. The penalties to be imposed by the university shall range from written warnings with probationary status to expulsions from enrollment and discharges from employment. However, the following minimum penalties shall be imposed for the particular offenses described.
  3. Trafficking in Illegal Drugs
    1. For the illegal manufacture, sale or delivery, or possession with intent to manufacture, sell, or deliver, of any controlled substance identified in Schedule I, North Carolina General Statutes 90-90, or Schedule II, General Statutes 90-90 (including, but not limited to, heroin, mescaline, lysergic acid diethylamide, opium, cocaine, amphetamine, and methaqualine), any student shall be expelled and any faculty member, administrator, or other employee shall be discharged.
    2. For a first offense involving the illegal manufacture, sale or delivery, or possession with intent to manufacture, sell, or deliver, of any controlled substance identified in Schedules III through VI, North Carolina General Statutes 90-91 through 90-94 (including but not limited to marijuana, pentobarbital, codeine), the minimum penalty shall be suspension from enrollment or from employment for a period of at least one semester or its equivalent. For a second offense, any student shall be expelled and any faculty member, administrator, or other employee shall be discharged.
  4. Illegal Possession of Drugs
    1. For a first offense involving the illegal possession of any controlled substance identified in Schedule I, North Carolina General Statutes 90-89, or Schedule II, North Carolina General Statutes 90-90, the minimum penalty shall be suspension from enrollment or from employment for a period of at least one semester or its equivalent.
    2. For a first offense involving the illegal possession of any controlled substance identified in Schedules III through VI, North Carolina General Statutes 90-91 through 90-94, the minimum penalty shall be probation, for a period to be determined on a case-by-case basis. A person on probation must agree to participate in a drug education and counseling program, consent to regular drug testing, and accept such other conditions and restrictions, including a program of community service, as the chancellor or the chancellor’s designee deems appropriate. Refusal or failure to abide by the terms of probation shall result in suspension from enrollment or from employment for any unexpired balance of the prescribed period of probation.
    3. For second or other subsequent offenses involving the illegal possession of controlled substances, progressively more severe penalties shall be imposed, including expulsion of the students and discharge of faculty members, administrators, or other employees.
  5. Suspension Pending Final Disposition
    When a student, faculty member, administrator, or other employee has been charged by the university with a violation of policies concerning illegal drugs, he or she may be suspended from enrollment or employment before initiation or completion of regular disciplinary proceedings if, assuming the truth of the charges, the chancellor or, in the chancellor’s absence, the chancellor’s designee concludes that the person’s continued presence within the university community would constitute a clear and immediate danger to the health or welfare of other members of the university community; provided, that if such a suspension is imposed, an appropriate hearing of the charges against the suspended person shall be held as promptly as possible thereafter.
  6. Compliance with Federal Drug-free Workplace Act of 1988 Pertaining to Employees
    1. As a condition of employment, an employee must abide by the terms of this policy and must notify his immediate supervisor at Western Carolina University of any criminal drug conviction occurring in the workplace no later than five days after that conviction.
    2. Western Carolina University will notify federal granting or contracting agencies within ten days after receiving notice that an employee directly engaged in a grant or contract has been convicted of a drug offense in the workplace.
    3. Western Carolina University will impose sanctions and/or require satisfactory participation in drug abuse or rehabilitation programs by an employee convicted of a drug-related violation in the workplace no later than thirty days after notice of said conviction.

* Rules of the State Personnel Commission govern disciplinary actions that may be taken against SPA employees; under current Commission policies, discharge rather than suspension is the applicable penalty for SPA employees in instances where this policy otherwise requires suspension.

Annual Safety Report


Western publishes an annual safety report to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (formerly the Campus Security Act).

The report can be accessed at:

Hard copies of the report are available upon request at the Office for Student Affairs, 460 H.F. Robinson Administration Building, 828-227-7234.

Policy on Computer Abuse


The University provides computer access through the information technology division, college, and department computer systems. It is essential that computer systems be protected from misuse and unauthorized access subject to university policy and applicable state and federal laws. Computer abuse defined as, but not limited to, privacy issues, theft, vandalism, copyright issues, and harassment will be referred to the Office of the Chief Information Officer and/or college or department computer network and laboratory managers. Abuse involving theft or vandalism will also be reported to the director of the University Police Department. Penalties include, but are not necessarily limited to, suspension or revocation of computing privileges, reimbursement to the university for resources consumed, other legal action including action to recover damages, referral to law-enforcement authorities, and referral to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs for disciplinary action. In connection with inquiries into possible abuses, the University reserves the right to examine files, programs, passwords, accounting information, printouts, or other computing material without notice authorized only by the Chief Information Officer. See University Policy #52, Use of Computers and Data Communications online at

Law Enforcement


The University Police Department is responsible for providing law enforcement, criminal investigation, and security services on campus. University Police Department officers are certified by the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office and meet all standards set by the Attorney General for law enforcement officers in this state.

All crimes that occur on the campus of Western Carolina University should be reported to the University Police Department. Emergencies should be reported by dialing 911; nonemergencies may be reported by dialing 828-227-7301. Reports may also be filed by visiting the University Police Department, located in the University Outreach Center Annex, or by contacting an officer on patrol. Officers may also be summoned by activating any of the emergency blue-light callboxes which are placed at various locations throughout campus.

Information regarding crime statistics and crime prevention programs is available in the University Police department. This same information is made available online at For Clery Act Report information, see the Student Affairs homepage.

Traffic and Parking. The University Police department is responsible for the administration of Western’s parking system, vehicle registration, and traffic and parking regulations enforcement. State statutes provide that campus traffic and parking regulations have the fullauthority of law, and violators may be subject to the penalties such law prescribes.

Everyone parking a vehicle on campus must register that vehicle with the University Police and Traffic Office and display a current decal or visitor’s permit on that vehicle. Parking and traffic regulations literature is made available in the Traffic Office, located in the Outreach Center Annex. These same regulations are made available on-line at:

The Traffic and Security Committee, composed of students, faculty, and staff, functions as an appellate board for faculty and staff members wishing to contest parking citations which they have received. Appeals concerning student violations are heard by a similar SGA appellate committee. Citation appeal forms are available in the traffic office. For more information, contact the University Police Office at 828-227-7301.